Saturday, February 6, 2016

Maybelline Dream Matte Velvet Foundation Review

I love Maybelline! Maybelline has been one of my very favorite drugstore brands since I got into makeup about 4.5 years ago. They make my very favorite lipstick formula (ColorSensational), and most of my drugstore foundations are from Maynelline, as well. In fact, the very first liquid foundation I ever tried was the original Maybelline Fit Me Foundation. Since then, I've purchased so many of their foundations, including both the Dream Fresh and Dream Pure BB Creams, Fit Me Matte & Poreless, Instant Age Rewind, Dream Matte Mousse, and Dream Liquid Mousse. So when the new Dream Matte Velvet Foundation dropped, I bought it within days of it's release. 


This foundation comes in a squeeze tube that contains 1.0 oz of product, which is standard size for a foundation. There are 12 shades in the range, but only 2 that are suited for darker skin. I have the second deepest shade, 92 Caramel. I found that the color match was slightly off. It was a bit more olive than yellow toned, but once it set and after highlighting and bronzing, it wasn't even noticeable. 

You can buy this product in stores at your local CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, Ulta, etc, or online at places like drugstore.com. I, personally found mine a few weeks ago on the very first end cap at my local Walmart. Pricing ranges from 9.89 - 10.99$ USD. 


It has light-medium buildable coverage. I usually go for foundations with this type of coverage because I don't have a lot of imperfections to cover, but this one I have to use at least 2 layers to get the desired effect. In the photos, I show you the difference between each consecutive application, as well as my bare face. I applied 2. I generally only apply makeup if I'm going to work or "wearing real clothes" (ie not sweats or jammies). On this day, I was just out and about. I wore the foundation for 4-5 hours before removing it. I have yet to find a foundation that doesn't let my oils come through, but this one does break up around my nose which is the oiliest part of my face. 


Overall, I would give this foundation a 7/10. The price is great, the coverage is good for my needs, but with the undertones being slightly off and the fact that it doesn't hold up to my oils when my skin is at its driest is what kept it from being closer to a 10. I would recommend this for people who have dry to normal skin and want to try a matte foundation. If you have combination skin, this could also work for you, but people with very oily skin should probably stay away unless you usually touch up your foundation through out the day. 


Kiss, Kiss.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment