Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Winter Morning Skincare Routine

It dawned on me that I haven't done a skincare routine in quite some time, and the last time I did one, I was using mostly the same products on my face both day and night. Well, that's changed. I have only a few products that I use morning and night as opposed to the other way around. So I'm breaking this skincare routine up into 2 separate posts. This one is obviously going to be my morning routine. 

If you were curious about my previous skincare routines, you can check those out here and here. Just for reference, I have combination skin. In the summer, I get really oily in the center of my face and my cheeks tend to stay normal. In the winter, my skin is incredibly dry around my mouth and cheeks, but my nose still stays oily. 


Cleanse
I tend to have breakouts, so I like to use an acne wash in the mornings. I'm currently using the AcneFree Oil-Free Purifying Cleanser. You can buy just the cleanser by itself, but if you want the other pieces, you have to buy the whole kit. It contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, which is an acne treatment that kills the bacteria that actually causes the breakouts to form. 2.5% is pretty mild as far as benzoyl peroxide goes, so it doesn't dry me out as much as a stronger formula would.


Exfoliate
For this step I usually mix my scrub with my cleanser to save time, although, I have been known to do these steps individually. I use the Derma E Microdermabrasion Scrub. The reason I use it with my cleanser is because this can irritate my skin, at times, if I use it alone. Using this fine a scrub helps to slough off the top layer of dead skin to get rid of any unevenness, scarring, and wrinkles. It has a long list of amazing ingredients including sunflower seed oil, lime juice, grape seed oil, and Vitamin E. 


Tone
I started using the Dickinson's Pore Perfecting Toner over a year ago, dropped it to try something else, and then came back to it a few months later. I just really enjoy this one. It has an all natural formula that contains grain alcohol and witch hazel. I will say that it has a strange smell. If you happen to be sensitive to scents, I would recommend trying something else. Personally, I got over the smell, and it doesn't bother me anymore. 


Mask
Did I mention I was a total mask junkie? Cuz if I didn't I am now. Hi, I'm Mikey, and I'm addicted to face masks. To be more specific, sheet masks are my current obsession. It used to be mud or clay masks, but since it's winter, the hydration and convenience of a sheet mask just can't be beat. I'm currently going back and forth between the Ariul 7 Days masks and the Dermal Korea ones. The specific one I used today was the Ariul Bamboo Water mask. It smelled sooo good. 


Treat
Going back to that AcneFree kit I mentioned earlier: I use the Repair Lotion that comes in it. It has 3.7% benzoyl. That's why I only use it in the morning. If I use it more than once a day, it dries me out too badly. It definitely gets the job done, though! I rarely have breakouts now.


Serum
Serums didn't appear in my skincare routine until the dry months hit. I needed the extra hydration and nutrients they offered. I tried using a sample I had gotten a while back to test out if I would like using one or not, and I really enjoyed that one. It's almost gone, but if anyone was curious as to what it was, it was the Skin&Co Roma Truffle Therapy Serum. It smelled amazing and left my skin feeling amazing, but it's 70$ for the full size. So I'm filling its spot with the infinitely less expensive Soothing Serum from elf. I haven't formed an opinion on this yet, so I'll have to update you on that. 


Moisturize
This is, hands down, my very favorite product that I own. It's, honestly, the very best moisturizer I've ever used. Before I forget to tell you what it is, it's the coveted Dear by Enprani Bounce Cheese Cream. *swoon* I know what you're thinking: "Cheese Cream? Whaaaaaa?" But if you know anything about Korean beauty trends, this is majorly hyped. It contains whey protein that'ts enriched with Vitamins A, B, and E. It has a strangely bouncy, stringy texture and hydrates like a dream. It's super rich and luxurious feeling. I'll have to keep repurchasing this forever. I'm going to be devastated when the warmer weather hits and it gets too heavy to wear. 


Eye Cream
This step has been really important to me as of late. With being pregnant and working on my feet 40 hours a week, I'm really freaking tired, and you can see it in the bags and dark circles under my eyes. This is the same eye cream I've been using since summer, which is the Nourish Organics Renewing Eye Cream with Avocado & Argan. The avocado is for nourishment, the argan for moisture, and it also contains Vitamin C to brighten. I like the consistency of it and how it makes my under eyes feel after each use. 


Protect
Last is an SPF. I'm currently using the CVS brand AM Moisturizing Facial Lotion with SPF 30. Since I'm using benzoyl peroxide on the skin, I have to use some sort of sun protection to keep my skin from getting too irritated. I always use an SPF to help prevent premature wrinkling and the obvious sun damage. I always recommend an SPF of at least 15 for the face. That also includes the lips. I tend to reach for something with an SPF of 30 or higher, just for the longevity. 

To wrap things up, even though I have problems with oil in the center of my face, I have to use really richly moisturizing products in the winter months. You'll see more of what I mean in my nighttime skincare routine. That should be up in just a few days. I try not to use anything that controls oils during the dry months unless it's only on my nose. 

Kiss, Kiss.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment