Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hair Post - Controlled Natural Curl

hello, hello! I'm back again with a hair post this time. That's new!
So I've been natural for at least the last 6 years. I didn't cut it off and start over, I just stopped processing it. I do still use heat on my hair, but that's about it.
My mom is starting to get into natural hair styles and we were watching some Youtube videos the other day to find some ideas. Well I stumbled upon this awesome website called Curly Nikki, and it has all kinds of tips and tricks and everything you can imagine about natural hair. Well in looking through the "Styles" tab, I found a few videos that I liked and I wanted to recreate the styles shown.
Here is the look I recreated. The style is called a Bantu Knot Out. It was super easy to do. I did modify it to fit my needs and give me the look I wanted.

Here's a list of the products I used:

I started with freshly washed and conditioned hair. I used my wide toothed comb to detangle, and then  to part my hair into four sections. Here is what my hair looks like after its been combed through. 


I pretty much followed the video as well as I could. I sectioned off a bit of hair, separated that into two parts, and twisted them together. For each section, I applied a dime sized amount of the Creme Moisturizer to the length of it and the Curl Wax to seal the ends. Before doing any of this, I spritzed my whole head with the a mixture of my conditioner and water. I then twisted the hair around itself in a knot. 

Here is the halfway point.


I continued that process until my entire head was knotted, using the spray bottle to ensure that my hair was always wet. 



After all was said and done, I finished with a satin cap to sleep in. This will help to keep the knots from separating when moving in your sleep. It also helps to eliminate frizz. 


The next morning, I removed the cap and started to unknotting process. First, I unraveled the knots, then I undid the twists. Here is where I deviated from the video. Instead of leaving the curls loose and more wavy, I pulled apart the twists into smaller sections to have more defined curls. The products I used gave my hair a really nice shine, and it was really soft and not at all crunchy. 

Before styling


Showing off my length


After styling


That's it guys! And it was super easy!!! Like seriously, if I think it's easy, it really freaking easy because I hate doing my hair. 

Well leave me comments and please follow my blog. There's a link to my Instagram in the sidebar. There's a lot more posts there.

Kiss, Kiss.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment